I missed parts of everything except the self-published authors panel in which I was a presenter. Here are some quick nuggets I gleaned at the Ozarks Writers League August conference.
Publishing has changed so much over the past decade.
- We've seen big bookstore chains like Borders shut down and others like Barnes and Noble suffer.
- We've seen the rise of print on demand publishing and digital publishing.
- Publishing opportunities from companies such as Smashwords, CreateSpace, and Kindle Direct Publishing mean anyone can be a published author for free.
People have changed too.
- Digital books are more popular than ever.
- We read more on our phones.
- We mostly want shorter books.
- Audiobooks are more popular than ever.
Publishers are seeking:
- Hybrid or mashup books that blur typical genre lines.
- Racial, gender and sexual diversity.
- Series over one-off books.
- TV show trend-based books.
- Evergreen topics (those that never die).
Top Category in 2015
20 million adult coloring books sold in 2015..
Self Publishing Costs
- Some authors pay hundreds or thousands of collars for things like covers and editing of their independently published books.
- Some of us pay nothing or next to nothing.
If you're a writer, GO to writing conferences!
The first writing conference I attended sparked an idea that became my first book, the humorous and inspirational I'll Push, You Steer, with my co-author and friend Bonnie K. Tesh.
After nearly 10 years, we still get royalty checks for that book! It's available in paperback or Kindle editions from your favorite bookseller or Amazon.
First, I was the u8npublished author in awe of those who had published 1, 10, or 20 books. Today, I have 7 of my own and over 2 dozen contributions to anthologies, and I'm pitching to publishers and agents. I never saw that coming 12 years ago!
Google "writers conference" and "writing organizations" in your area. If you're in the Ozarks, check out OzarksWritersLeague.com.
Please share this all over the social web!
Follow your B.L.I.S.S.
Ronda Del Boccio
#1 best selling author, speaker, and Amazon Top Reviewer
About Ronda Del Boccio
Ronda Del Boccio is an award-winning and best selling author of both fiction and nonfiction. She tells transformational tales and helps visionary authors turn their dreams and imaginings into published books. See and order Ronda's books on Amazon.
PS: IF you're an AUTHOR: fore you go - Join NOW for FREE Tools for Writers!
What you get: The Author Profit Pack and MORE, including...
- 7 Ways to Earn Money While Still Writing Your Book" special report and video mini-class
- 7 Ways to Make Your Book Irresistible" special report and video mini-cl
- Invitations to FREE right-to-the-point classes on everything from book marketing to e-publishing to social media for authors.
- Free weekly author success tip delivered to your inbox
- and more!