Whether you write fiction or nonfiction, short piece or novel, the title is one of the elements that first captures or loses a prospective reader's attention. So it better be great.
The job of a title is simply to grab your busy possible reader's attention and make her want to know, "What's that?"
I had been trying to find the perfect title for my fantasy suspense novel for weeks. I played with various ones, and finally got it. Yay! Below, I'll share techniques I use to get a title that sings.
When a title "sings," you FEEL it in your body. Sure, it touches the ear just right too, but once you've found the right one, it feels right.
Here are some of my titles.
- A Tasty Morsel
- "Into the Bubble" (spiritual fantasy short story"
- Deadly Mist: Mirrored Worlds, Book 1 (fantasy-suspense novel, available to publish)
- Real Dogs Don't Eat Kibble by Sandra Bailey
- "She Had a Curfew...I Had a Van" (award-winning short story.
- "Hillbilly Heaven" (award-winning short story)
Crafting Titles That Sing
THe title needs to fit the mood of the work in question. You would expect "Fun with Numbers" to be playful, not long-winded and boring.
Every once in a while, I get my singing title quickly, but not always. I take my time coming up with a title. I let them rattle around in my head. I say the possible choices aloud. I write them down.
Here are some techniques I use to get my titles.
- Write down "What't the best title for my _______ story?" THe brain can't resist an open loop. It wants that loop neatly closed. Your smart subconscious will get right on that. As potential answers come, write them down. When you find your title, circle it and write, "Thank you, brain!" or some other words that suit your personality to close that loop.
- Talk it out. If you're an auditory processor, talk out possible titles. I like to start down a particular trail and see where it leads. Then talk out a different trail.
- Ask your alpha/beta readers. If you've had people read your piece, ask if they have any inspiration for the title.
- Think in motion. While trying to come up with that brilliant title, get out of your chair and move. Walk, bounce, dance, do Pilates, whatever.
Try any of these methods and let me know if they help.
Please share this all over the social web!
Follow your B.L.I.S.S.
Ronda Del Boccio
#1 best selling author, speaker, and Amazon Top Reviewer
About Ronda Del Boccio
Ronda Del Boccio is an award-winning and best selling author of both fiction and nonfiction. She tells transformational tales and helps visionary authors turn their dreams and imaginings into published books. See and order Ronda's books on Amazon.
PS: IF you're an AUTHOR: before you go - Join NOW for FREE Tools for Writers!
What you get: The Author Profit Pack and MORE, including...
- 7 Ways to Earn Money While Still Writing Your Book" special report and video mini-class
- 7 Ways to Make Your Book Irresistible" special report and video mini-cl
- Invitations to FREE right-to-the-point classes on everything from book marketing to e-publishing to social media for authors.
- Free weekly author success tip delivered to your inbox
- and more!