Meeting your potential (and current) readers in person is a big deal. Book signings can either be a roaring success or a dismal waste of time. It all depends on how you the author approach it.
I've done a few author book signing events, and in fact I'm on a committee planning Meet the Author Day at the Kimberling Area Library in Kimberling City, Missouri. Here are some things I've witnessed.
Some authors come:
- Having only a box of books and no table covering.
- Stacking books on the table in an unappealing manner.
- Sitting behind the table, waiting for magic to happen.
- Wandering around talking to other authors instead of connecting with readers.
- Having no way of making change or taking credit cards.
- Making customers use coins instead of rounding that .95 up to the next dollar.
- Not asking questions or talking with potential customers.
If any of these describe you, then you will want to read this article and plan for your next event.