Live author events, whether a book signing, reading, speaking engagement or something else, can be tremendously valuable...or not. It all depends. Mostly, it depends on the AUTHOR, not the event host.
I've noticed a lot of authors tend to expect to sit back and let the literary world deliver book sales with no effort on the wordsmith's part. I see it with publishing and with live events as well.
When you publish a book by whatever publishing method, you an't expect to put up your feet and let the publisher promote for you This simply does not happen. You can't just bury yourself in the next project; you have to promote and market your own book. That makes everybody happy, because you sell more books.
Same with events. Just because you've agreed to appear at a book signing, excerpt reading, or other live author event, that doesn't mean you keep your mouth shut about it and simply show up and sit in your seat like a soggy lump until you're "on."
You want a successful event, right?
5 Reasons Why You Want to Help Promote an Author Book Signing/Speaking Event
- You might sell more books. This is obvious, but worth focused attention. People who are connected to you, whether readers, family or friends, are likely to come in support, and/or perhaps buy a book for themselves or as a gift. Sales are all about numbers. The more people attend, the more statistically likely it is for you to profit.
- Name recognition. Every author needs a wider net with more people who know about you and your books. Even if I don't like your genre, I have friends who do, and those friends are always looking for a good read. The old saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind." You want to be IN sight and ON people's minds. Every time someone sees your name and hears about you, you become just a little more relevant.
- You only reap what you sow. You'll only get out what you invest. Contribute nothing and you can expect nothing in return. Then you'll be whining that the event was a waste of time when you, in fact, were at cause in the poor results. Help spread the word and you'll be the darling of the event hosts and can anticipate rich rewards.
- The Golden Rule Principle. Momma taught you the Golden Rule: "Treat others as you want them to treat you." The others are the event planners, any other authors, and the attendees. You want a great experience for everyone. The success of any event is a team effort. You want to care t the success of the event not only to bolster your own self-interest, but because it is right to put forth some effort. The event coordinators are most assuredly expending many hours and much energy to support YOUR writing.
- What you focus upon expands. Focus on expanding siness as an author and it shall grow. Simple universal law.
Here are 7 easy ways you can let your world know about your event. Continue reading "7 Ways to Promote Your Live Author Event with Ease"SHARE!